Most men do not consider the likelihood that they will develop enlarged breasts; however, this is something that affects as much as 40 percent of men. Gynecomastia is characterized by the overdevelopment of male breast tissue and fat. While this condition has a simple surgical fix, many men who suffer from this are too embarrassed to seek treatment.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia can affect men of all ages and can develop in response to many different situations.
Some of these causes include:
- An obese person is more vulnerable to producing more estrogen
- Cancer in the adrenal or pituitary glands can lead to gynecomastia
- Gynecomastia is often generated by changes to the body during puberty and in the aging process
- A condition can change the testicles (where the testosterone is made)
- Drugs such as heroin, marijuana, and steroids may have an impact on gynecomastia
- Kidney failure or liver disease can also cause gynecomastia
Instead of suffering the emotional and physical discomfort stemming from this condition, you can consider gynecomastia surgery. This procedure removes the presence of excess breast tissue and adipose tissue (fat) that contribute to a male breast. The procedure is usually performed under sedation and local anesthesia, it can however also be performed under General Anesthesia if needed. What results is a stronger, more masculine chest appearance.